SNL Episode Review: January 13, 2001
Charlie Sheen with Nelly Furtado
LIVE FROM NEW YORKHappy New Year!!!
Happy actual new millennium everyone. I had a nice break,
I hope you all did. I have nothing big to tell you, so I'll talk
about TV. The Mole was good, it's no Survivor but it'll suffice
until January 28. I really can't wait until Survivor. I've been
reading up about it online, it will be a good season. These castaways
don't seem as bright as the last group but some of them are hot,
not Debb. I have no predictions right now for Survivor. I'm pulling
for Tina and Elisabeth though.
Anyway, that's my review for this week. Wait, I'm forgetting something
Oh, right. I don't know much about Charlie Sheen. He had some problems and he always plays characters that are straight-faced, and straightforward. There is a lot to parody this week: Temptation Island, Dubya's cabinet, Reagan's surgery. This week I had a great idea for a sketch. It would be a parody of ABCs The Mole; except, one cast member would be a mole, either in costume, or an actual animal. Good, right? Also, Lorne, it's not too early to parody Survivor 2. Also, Charlie Sheen did an impression of his father on both Rosie and Conan this week. I expect that will come into play for a West Wing parody, or something else. On to the show
COLD OPEN: President Dick
Cast Members: DH, WF, CP
- Another, yes another, political cold open
- Maybe Darrell will stay and play Cheney
- Good Line: "I think I got this at Burlington Coat Factory" - Parnell about his tie
Cast Member: TM
- They had four weeks of vacation and they have to resort to a Question and Answer monologue!
- Tracy Morgan buying cocaine was great, funny
- This was a good twist on the Q&A monologue, especially asking for the first lady to lower her prices (no not THAT first lady)
- Great Question: "Can you be President like your dad" it got an even better response.
Advertisement: Reality Bites
Cast Members: JF, JM, CK, DH, AG, MR, RD, HS, CP, WF
- Great Parodies
- They have been doing a lot of these full cast sketches recently
- 15 days until Survivor 2
- The Cannibal, great show
Sketch: Iron Chef
Cast Members: CK, HS, MS, CP, RD, DH, AG, JF
- Keith Famie, a Survivor 2 Contestant with the Ogakor tribe, was an iron chef
- Who are these voices? Why do they keep speaking to me? "Cook, Cook, Kill, Cook"
- I thought Molly left, guess not, damn
- The mouth should NOT match the voiceover because they are supposed to be speaking Chinese
Sketch: Eric is a Dickerson
Cast Members: TM, WF, JF
- Disclaimer: Closed Captioning Needed for Tracy's lines
- NOT FUNNY
- Tracy's singing and dancing was either the funniest moment of the sketch, or worst moment, I can't tell
- The Dennis Miller impression saved the sketch
Sketch: Mr. and Mrs. Music Sketch 923760274
Cast Members: JM, WF, AG
- The stuff before the music was pretty funny this time
- Great Line: "Limp Bisquick" AG
- The medley wasn't exceptional
Cast Members: JF, TF, AG, CK, MR
- Great Line: "Apparently Mr. Bush's first step in restoring the dignity of the presidency is having a soap star sing 'She Bangs' at the foot of the great emancipator" Tina Fey
- 3 Survivor jokes in the history of SNL, I want a friggin' sketch
- Charlie Sheen is being a good sport about the sex jokes
- Chris Kattan's terrible reenactments are getting better, or more terrible, and that is good
- Maya does great accents
Musical Guest: Nelly Fritter-Rattana
- Half the song is "Yeah, yeah, oh"
- I could write a better song
- Decent performance of a lousy song
Sketch: The young and I'm restless
Cast Members: MS, CP, WF
- ERROR: No audio in the beginning
- Why didn't Molly leave?!?
- Is Molly's character a recurring one that I've never seen? She has many of these characters that look alike (Hellen Madden, I'm 50, etc.)
Sketch: Alcohol and Drugs may cause birth defects
Cast Members: CK, RD, WF, TM, HS
- Is Will 37?
- Will shouldn't be topless, you can see his appendectomy scar
- Is Will wearing pants?
Sketch: Does Chili's have a tie in with SNL?
Cast Members: CP, MS, CK, WF
- Sorry, It's T.G.I.Fridays
- For the record, we have yet to have a Mango sketch this season
- Chris occasionally sounds like his Steve Irwin, crocodile hunter, impression
- They should bring back the Roxbury brothers
- Greg should simmuh dah now
Short Film: Pervert
Cast Member: HS
- At least it's digital now
- Adam McKay should be committed
- The Cream of Wheat Chef, ok, that's funny
Sketch: Who wrote this sketch? What?
Cast Member: RD
- ERROR: Spotlight Moved
- Lots of sex jokes tonight
GRADE: A (Light at the end of the tunnel)
The show was weak tonight. A few sketches were good but many of them were mediocre. I'm glad the musical guest only did one song. Charlie Sheen was great, but he didn't do any outstanding sketches. And now to the Final Wrap-Up
BEST CAST MEMBER: Will Ferrell, Chris Kattan
BEST SKETCH: Reality Bites
SKETCH THAT WON'T BE SEEN WHEN THIS EPISODE AIRS ON COMEDY CENTRAL: Eric Dickerson's blah blah blah
HOST: Charlie Sheen was funny, all the sex jokes were funny, and the monologue was good despite being a Q&A one
PROBLEMS: Late audio for The Young & Restless, Spotlight moved on last sketch
PERSONAL GRADE: B
AVERAGE GRADE: B+
Next week is Mena Suvari, I have no predictions because most of my predictions were wrong this week. See ya next week!
BACK to Charlie Sheen "SNL" Episode Reviews